I finally finished Mr. Greenjeans. Actually this is a quick knit cardigan done top down all in one piece for seam free finishing. When you cast off you might just have a few ends to weave in and you're done.
Modifications: I didn't like the firmness of the fabric when I swatched the Manos on 5mm needles as directed in the pattern, even though I was getting gauge. I think the thick/thin nature of the Manos was responsible for making it a bit denser than a smoother aran weight yarn. I went up to 6mm and down a size.
I also tried it on as I went so that I could place the beginning of the cable rib at my natural waist and because I had lots of yarn I made full length sleeves instead of 3/4. The original is a lovely spring/summer evening/fall sweater in a light colour that goes with those seasons. Mine is dark, heavier, and cozy. Definitely a winter sweater.
The button is one I had in a drawer - waiting for a button front cardi - and is too small for this sweater. It will do for now. I'd like to find a larger version of this button, or maybe a raku button. Somehow flame fired pottery sounds perfect for a Lava sweater.
I like this sweater a lot and I expect to wear it often through the cold months. The black/red/taupe colourway goes with everything and the style looks terrific with everything from jeans to skirts. I could see making another of these in a lighter colour using a smooth worsted weight yarn.
Lava is not a portable sweater project because it's knit in one piece. By the time you're doing the arms there's quite a cozy bulk of knit fabric to turn around. When parent teacher interviews came around I picked up my long neglected double eyelet sock. I had finished the foot, turned the heel and was just about to cruise on up the leg when a student sat with me (killing time while Mom and Dad talked). I pulled out the first sock so she could see the end result. Her non-knitter eyes saw something right away that mine had missed. On the bottom you see the sole of the second sock. On the top (with the leg folded back so you can see I matched up the toes) is the first sock.
Kid thought it was the funniest thing she'd seen in ages.
Want to see it again? Not only is the second sock very significantly longer than the first even though it has the same number of eyelets to the heel turn, it is also noticeably wider as well.
Kid is laughing pretty hard now. Parents are looking over at me wondering how on earth I got their daughter to laugh when she had been crying only minutes earlier.
Instead I ripped. All the way back to the toe. With the kid laughing her butt off while she wound the ball.
Later I dug out my trusty needle gauge and discovered that the slightly odd feeling in my hands hadn't been my imagination. I had been knitting with two 3.5mm and two 3.0 mm dpns. A quick check with Ravelry revealed that I used 3.0mm the first time so I picked up the stitches again about 4 rows after the cast on and started over.
There isn't a picture because it was just kind of painful. Sock 2, version 2 had a toe cap that was still significantly bigger than Sock 1 despite having the same number of stitches and rows. Frigging gauge! Back to Ravelry where my mistake was revealed. When I chose my needle for this project I picked "US2.5/3.0mm" and let me tell you dears, there is a world of difference between that size and "US2/2.5mm" Rip. Curse. Wind yarn. Repeat as necessary. Congratulate myself for having checked at the end of the toe! Go look at the sock yarn stash.... there's Koigu, Oceanwind Knits, Apple Laine Farms, Cider Moon.... so yummy...so tempting... Shake my head and realize that if I even wind another ball of sock yarn I probably will never finish this pair, even though I really like the pattern and the yarn (Fleece Artist Sea Socks) is smooth and creamy despite being ripped.
Start over. AGAIN. This time use 2.5mm KnitPicks dpn's. Get matching gauge.